Thursday, August 9, 2012

Sour Cream Beef Enchilada Casserole


                


First of all, ignore the chicken in the picture.  I am not a photographer and photos of sour cream and beef together in an enchilada casserole are hard to come by...at least ones that I thought looked cheesy enough.

Secondly, I stole this recipe.  I am proud to admit this because the person I stole it from will not be reading this...he doesn't know I have a blog.  I don't think he would mind anyways....I hope. :)

Finally, you certainly could substitute chicken if you wanted to, but I just loved the combination of the beef mixed with the sour cream and there are plenty of sour cream chicken enchilada recipes out there anyways, so just make this with beef, ok??

You'll need:

2 lb ground beef
1 med onion
1/3 cup salsa (I use Pace)
1 1/2 t cumin
1/2 T chili powder
1 1/2 t salt (or to taste)
1/4 t black pepper (or to taste)
1/2 stick butter
2 T flour
1 1/2 cups milk
16 oz sour cream
12 corn tortillas
2 cups shredded mexican cheese...or more :)

Cook ground beef and onion until brown, drain grease, add seasonings, and simmer for a few minutes to let flavors marry, or co-habitate for you commitment-phobes.  In a separate skillet, melt butter and add flour, stirring constantly until mixed.  Add milk slowly, stirring to avoid lumps, until thick and bubbly.  Remove from heat and add sour cream.

Spray a 9x13 baking pan with oil and layer 6 tortillas on bottom.  Add 1/2 sour cream sauce, 1/2 beef mixture, and 1/2 cheese (or enough to cover beef...you can never have too much cheese).  Repeat layers one more time and finish with the cheese......lots of it!!  Can you tell I love cheese??  If you know me, then you know who I'm married to...the epitome of human cheesiness!!  Anyways, bake in a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes or until bubbly and heated through.  Let stand for 5 minutes at least to let layers set.

You could add black olives, jalapenos, or fresh cilantro to garnish.  You could even add green chiles to the beef mixture (I think I will).  Hope you all enjoy!!



                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment